Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Proverbs 31




I love this! In a ladies bible class at church, we studied proverbs for a quarter. As we studied Proverbs, I have to say that Proverbs is one of my favorite books in the Bible. The last chapter of the book, Proverbs 31, is very popular, and I am sure read and loved by many. Being married and having a baby, the Proverbs 31 woman has become more alive and meaningful to me than before. I am so thankful that God inspired Solomon to write about her. She is the pillar of the perfect, Godly woman. In every way do I respect her and want to model my life after her. Now of course, 'her', I believe, is figurative, but she represents the life God would have for us women to live.
Going through this proverb, the Godly woman is trustworthy (v.11), does good to her husband (v.12), works willingly with her hands (keyword: willingly, v.13), she provides for her household with food and clothing not only in the day but through the night (v.15), she is not lazy but is wise and diligent with her time and money as she turns it in to more profit instead of wasteful living (v.16-19) She gives to the poor (v.20). She brings honor to her husband and not shame (v.23). She is not worried about the things to come, but speaks with wisdom and teaches with kindness (v.25-26). Her children and her husband praise her (v.28). Most importantly of all, she fears the Lord (v.30)!
The Godly woman is so spiritually beautiful. I try to think about her often during the day. When I start to grumble and complain to myself, usually when I am cleaning toilets or folding clothes late at night, I think of her and how I need to change my attitude and conduct to be like her.
I ran across this video on the Provers 31 movement on facebook. It was so refreshing to see a young man reading scripture and starting a "movement" about the Godly woman and having such a positive reaction from others. "For the Word of God is living and active..." Heb. 4:12!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment